Quaren-Treats for National Pet Day
April 11, 2020
There’s a reason many consider pets to be their best friend – they’re always there to happily greet us when we come home and provide endless love, attention, and even entertainment. April 11 is National Pet Day, so we’ve put together a list of creative ways to make being quarantined with your furry friend a bit more enjoyable.
Whip up a batch of these simple homemade pet treats with ingredients you may already have in your pantry.
These Peanut Butter Dog Treats only require three ingredients and are easy to make! Bonus: they’ll make your kitchen smell amazing!
- 2 cups of flour
- 1/2 cup of creamy peanut butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat your oven to 350° F
- Mix together the flour, peanut butter and eggs in a large bowl
- Add water, 1 tbsp. at a time until the mixture becomes wet enough to roll out as dough
- Roll out the dough and create fun shapes using cookie cutters
- Place the treats onto a nonstick baking sheet and cook for approximately 15 minutes
These Salmon Cat Treats are made with simple ingredients and only take 20 minutes to bake.
- 1¼ cup of canned salmon, undrained
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour
- Pulse the canned salmon in a food processor until finely chopped
- Combine the salmon, egg, and flour in a bowl and mix until it forms a dough
- Roll out the dough to 1/4-inch thickness on a floured surface
- Use a cookie cutter or knife to cut into pieces
- Put the treats on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F for 20 minutes
DIY PET TOYS
Keep your pets active and bring out your inner DIY-er by crafting these simple toys.
This T-Shirt Dog Toy is great for playing fetch or tug-of-war and it’s simple to make. You’ll just need a couple of t-shirts and a pair of scissors.
- Start by cutting several 2-3” wide slits at the base of the shirts. After you’ve cut your slits, just rip along the slit and collect the strips of fabric
- Gather your t-shirt strips and tie off one end. Divide your strips into thirds and braid them together
- Once you’ve braided down to the other end, tie up the bottom and cut any straggling t-shirt strips
Kitty Wands are a great way to interact with your feline friends and keep them entertained for hours.
- 1 wooden dowel or stick
- Multiple fabric scraps (ribbons, shoe laces, etc.)
- 1 roll of twine
- Fabric glue or hot glue
- Bells (optional)
- Wrap the wooden dowel/stick with twine. Leave an excess amount (10-12 inches) to tie fabric scraps to the end.
- Use a small amount of fabric glue to secure the twine to the dowel, so that it doesn’t unravel.
- Take all your fabric scraps and tie them to the end of the twine
- Add bells to 3 fabric straps (optional)
Looking for a new furry friend? Visit the Humane Society of Greater Miami’s website to browse adoptable pets and fill out an online adoption application.
Share your National Pet Day fun with us by posting a picture on social media. Remember to tag @AventuraMall and use #AventuraMall.
Read the latest stories from Everything Everything.