Five reasons why the Aventura Mall will be the most extra mall in Florida
So, you missed Cyber Monday, huh? Well, we’ve got bad news and good news. The bad news: now you might have to actually interact with humans in order to sidestep shipping costs. The good news: the Aventura Mall is debuting the most extra version of itself just in time for the holidays. Seriously. This mall is going to be capital-R ridiculous. Just take a look at what shoppers can expect in the next month.
1. A new nine-story tall slide. We have so many questions, and luckily we’ll have time to ask them all as we slide down Aventura’s new insanely high slide. Perhaps you’re wondering, “Why?” It’s best not to dwell on that too much. Instead, just enjoy the creation from Belgian-born sculptor Carsten Höller for what it is: a very beautiful, curvy slide.
2. The new food hall. Aventura will be home to one of South Florida’s many coming food halls. Tenants include Shake Shack, Luke’s Lobster, Figs by Todd English, GoGo Fresh, My Ceviche, Zuuk Mediterranean Kitchen, Poke 305, Hank & Harry’s Delicatessen and more. See all the tasty treats on the third floor, or catch them coming down the nine-story slide in partially digested chunks.
3. The huge new 315,000-square-foot expansion. Aventura’s facelift includes a massive new wing designed by Venezuelan architect Carlos Zapata. Inside, shoppers will find the only Florida store from the British fashion company Topshop and a brand-spanking-new Zara.
4. Free meditation for stressed-out shoppers. Modern ŌM, a local company dedicated to all things zen, is popping up in Aventura for the holiday season. The store will be leading free hourly meditations seven days a week for anyone who, perhaps, suffered some slide trauma. On December 9 at 9am, Modern ŌM is organizing a mass holiday meditation (their last one brought around 800 people to the Brickell City Centre).
5. The forthcoming Esplanade Aventura. It won’t be ready in time for this holiday season, (and it is not technically a part of the Aventura Mall either) but—hopefully—by late 2019, a massive new open-air retail and entertainment complex is taking over the former Sears space right next to Aventura Mall. Esplanade Aventura will be a 215,000-square-foot complex somewhere in between CityPlace Doral and Brickell City Centre. No additional giant slides have been announced (yet).